Chemical and Toxic Substance Exposure
Even mild exposure to toxins and dangerous chemicals can result in injury and medical conditions, including but not limited to brain damage and lasting effects to the nervous system. In more serious cases of exposure to dangerous fumes or gas, these events can even be fatal.
When someone is subjected to these chemical and toxic exposure through the negligence of someone else, this means that victim is entitled to compensation for their injuries. Carpenter & Zuckerman has over 40 trial attorneys on standby at any given time to fight for these victims, and has the extensive knowledge and background needed to win tough injury cases, which those involving toxic chemical exposure can often be.
Where chemical and toxic exposure occurs
There are several different circumstances under which someone may be exposed to harmful chemicals or toxins. People in more risky lines of work my be around these chemicals as part of their job (people who work in chemical labs, or certain construction or contractor work), or people may be accidentally exposed to them through old building and structures, faulty consumer products, or other means. There are sources of harmful chemical and materials everywhere, and even a small amount can be enough in some cases to cause permanent damage to the brain or other bodily systems.
Symptoms of exposure may occur immediately after coming in contact with these harmful materials, or they may not manifest for days or even weeks after the exposure has occurred. When you’ve been exposed to harmful chemicals due to someone else’s negligence, seeking compensation will help to cover medical bills, lost income, emotional and traumatic impacts, and other areas of compensation.
toxins and materials to be aware of
Exposure to toxic chemical can occur at home, at work, or in public or privately-owned spaces and venues. Toxic substances that can result in injury include:
- Solvents, including paint thinners
- Hydrogen sulfide
- Methane gas
Symptoms of toxic chemical exposure can depend on the exact chemical or material, as well as the individual. However, common symptoms to be aware of include headache, slurred speech, confusion, severe itching, fainting, or impaired motor function. Severe exposure can result in even worse complications caused by extensive brain tissue damage.